Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thanks Gram


Well, Christmas is long gone but does it matter?  A month or so ago, Mom bought Gingerbread House kits for the kids to do. I had visions of us all sitting around enjoying an activity together, but I never followed up.  Until today.  It's a cold gray day out there, and this seemed like a great time to finally  make our houses.



Even Sam posed for a picture (a rare event these days!)  I made the icing, which involved getting out the dreaded and hard-to-clean mixer....a committment I normally try to avoid....and the boys opened the candy packages and began eating....I mean, DECORATING.


The icing was a bit too thin, proving once again I have no business doing anything kitchen-related.


It was fun to watch those little hands decorating so carefully.

I told the boys that Gram had bought the kits for them and Benny said, "Wow, tell Gram thanks next time you see her.  Or I'll tell her next time I see her!"  He then added a loud, "Thanks, Gram!"




Benny's masterpiece.  The gumdrops fell through the roof and we remarked that you'd never starve to death if you lived inside.



Sam's roofline.


There was a little bit more eating than actual decorating.  And I have to admit, I joined in.  Icing is just so darned addicting, isn't it?  When my head began spinning from the excess sugar, I forced myself to quit.  Then I sent the boys out to the trampoline to work off the sugar-rush.  (Good plan.  They loved it and came back exhausted.)



Sam's house.  BTW, see that red thing poking out of the door?  Know what that is?  Sam explained that "it's Santa's foot, coming out of the door, because he's getting ready to leave the house."  Wow!


The final result didn't look much like the picture on the box, but we all had a laugh over it, and the boys wanted me to take pictures, so it was all good.

Better late than never!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

So fun! Next time, buy two cans of Betty Crocker icing...works like a charm.

Both of your boys are incredibly handsome, but that picture of Sam is particularly striking.

Kelly Bingham said...

Yep, he's old blue eyes, isn't he? I am getting less and less pictures of him these days because he doesn't enjoy having his photo taken anymore. (And I won't be the annoying mom who takes it anyway.) He's growing up!

Lou Hamilton said...

It gets worse. We have rare pictures of Mikey when he actually gives reluctant approval to take one. No doubt one of these days he's going to say, "How come there are no pictures of me in these albums?!"