Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Kittie Update


It's been about a month now, and the new kitties are settling into the family just fine.  Lucy, who spent the first full day here hiding in a drawer, has come out of her shell.  Though she is a bit more reclusive than Poe, she is a sweet girl with a very loud purr that she loves to share.   She is also very fond of "the big bed," and if we leave our door open, she sleeps on it for hours at a time.  She still gets under the bed at times, and naps there, but she'll come out if you ask her.


And someone has to hold down the mattress, after all.  Might as well be her job, right?

She loves to snuggle if I lay down for a morning nap.  She is such a soft little thing!


Ms. Poe is the more outgoing, responsible cat--responsible in that she seems to see it as her job to keep tabs on the family and take care of us.   When any of us come home, she comes to the door to greet us and make sure we are still in one piece.  When someone has something to eat, it's her job to sit on their lap and be available for petting.  And you know---if you want to drop a crumb or two, she'll take care of that as well--it's all part of the job.



Poe has also taken it upon herself to help with the boys.  When it's bedtime, she comes upstairs with me and sprawls on the floor while they get ready for bed.  She provides last minute entertainment by playing with a lego or a straw or a scrap of paper.  The boys love it.

She often visits them during the night for some snuggling and sleeping.  She's even learned to climb the ladder and join Benny in his top bunk.

In the morning she greets me and then comes upstairs with me to wake the boys.  Once again she sprawls on the floor, and waits for them to get up and rub her tummy.  After they are done in the restroom, she goes in for her turn at the litterbox.

When I take the boys to the bus, I can count on returning home to the sight of Poe in the front window, waiting for me to come back.

Of course, when I get in the house, I get ignored a bit.  But still.  She waits for me.  I guess she likes knowing where we all are.

If the boys spend a lot of time in their rooms, she'll go sit in their laps or hang out where they are for a while. And during the day while I am on the computer, Poe is lying nearby, either in Marty's chair, or on the floor by my feet.

Both cats are very playful and their peak play times are about 1:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.  In the middle of the night I sometimes here them galloping around the house, chasing each other, crashing into things, and leaping from the furniture to land with a loud thump on the ground.  You should here them gallumphing up and down the stairs, too.  I had this idea cats would be silent, graceful creatures.  But that's not always the case!


The cats love plastic straws, plastic bags, crumpled paper, and their catnip mouse.


They also like to hang out on my desk if that's where I am.


Of if that's where Marty is.


And of course, they look out the window at the roaming deer, the birds, and squirrels.


I'm so glad we got them, and I'd say the rest of the family feels the same.  They are a couple of cuties!



1 comment:

Tracy said...

This post makes me miss having cats. They are fun and so cuddly...when they want to be. :)