Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tumbling

Have I mentioned that my boys are active? True, we have periods where everyone sprawls in front of the TV and eats and otherwise does not move. And Sam does spend some time on the computer playing some beloved video game lately. But overall, this is the life they prefer.

Tumbling, flipping, bouncing, and as always, challenging themselves and each other.

You can't really tell, but you better believe the trampoline has a net all the way around it!
Yesterday they were bouncing like crazy on the trampoline and I had the harmless notion I'd take a few pictures. Well, the minute they saw the camera, I had two directors on my hands. "Wait. Not yet. I'm going to do a flip with a twist and you catch me in mid-air. There. Did you get it? Did you? Let me see. No, no, now we have to do it over. Do it again. Watch. Are you watching? Ready? One, two, THREE!"

And of course with the excitement came pushing and bumping.
I had to leave because the directing was getting a bit much for me. And once the camera disappeared, the boys returned to true Boy-Code passtime: Trying to knock each other down without using their hands!

It sounds brutal, but they really have perfected the art of the leg sweep, and the giggling and laughing and shrieks of delight put my mind at ease. I raked leaves while they wore themselves to a frazzle, then we all went inside for some cold drinks.
On a side note, you know one of the downsides of the Mom Job Description? Having to say "no" to some of their eager brainstorms. Like yesterday. Granted it was only 65 degrees out, but do I really want them to get out the hose and spray themselves all over while jumping on the trampoline in the middle of November? Not really. Naturally the response is a dejected, "But WHY?" Which is another question that is just part of the Mom Job Description.
Lately on Facebook my Aunt Martha has been encouraging us to reflect on things we're thankful for. Yesterday, listening to the boys laugh and laugh and laugh, I reflected on how thankful I am to hear that sound.

2 comments:

Lou Hamilton said...

What fun this sounds. These memories will stick with them forever, especially the Mom letting them 'have at it.'

Tracy said...

You have a trampoline! So fun! My best friend growing up had one and I have so many fun, fun memories of bouncing (bouncing off), flipping, and yes spraying the hose up through the bottom. :)
There are few things more delightful than the sound of laughing kids.