Friday, October 30, 2009

Jump

I have come to a conclusion. If you are a boy, life is full of self-made tests of strength and agility.
Huge rocks for example, are meant to be climbed. Small rocks are meant to be flung as far as you can. (Contests and challenges tend to pop up in situations like that.) Dirt exists so it can be dug around in. And leaves on branches are all about being touched. The more "just out of reach," the better.

Benny had to go to school last night to appear in a musical. Walking in, the boys began jumping, trying to touch the leaves on the trees. Both of them just wordlessly and without any communication at all, sprang into jumping beans. swatting at the leaves. It was like an unwritten Boy Code that they both understood.

Lucky I had my camera with me!




They are growing bigger and bigger, and I remember a time when they would jump as hard as they could and come nowhere near the leaves. Now.....well, they are making contact! Someday they are going to reach even higher for it to be a challenge. For now, I just enjoyed watching them have so much fun in such a simple thing.

2 comments:

Lou Hamilton said...

Love the jumping pictures. Boys do have their DNA encoded with jumping, running, hopping, skipping, climbing, throwing .... in fact, lots of those ing words!

It's so much fun watching them go thru each phase. With the boys, I've always said Mikey and then Cory would never walk when they could run and never run when they could jump!

Kelly Bingham said...

And don't forget climb! Mine love to climb....

I guess adverbs were made for boys!