Tuesday, June 22, 2010

River Tubing




See Benny in the tube?



Today we did something we talked about all last summer:  We went tubing on the Coosawattee river.
We headed down to the general store (right across from the giant water slide, so naturally there was the usual heart-stopping moment of seeing if the slide was inflated and people were indeed on it) and signed up.   After a long (very long) delay in the hot, hot outdoors, we boarded the bus and were on our way.




It was fun, and very cool and quiet on the river.  The one thing that bothered me was how quickly we seperated.  For no apparant reason, some people drifted ahead very fast and some did not.  I was far at the end and the kids were far, far away.  I prayed nobody fell out of their tube and when in fact, Benny did fall out, I nearly broke my foot slamming into a rock in my haste to get to him.  But no fears, the water was shallow enough for him to stand and he climbed back into his tube happily.

Afterwards there was another hugely long wait for the bus to come get us, and the kids kept cool by paddling around the water. 

We came home hot and hungry and very muddy, but happy.  It was a great way to spend a summer afternoon. 

Great---but we all agreed, once is enough.

The water slide on the other hand, is still being praised and adored.  I suspect we'll be back there soon.


1 comment:

Tracy said...

I went tubing dozens of times in college. SO much fun. Went tubing with Mike and Cory a few years back...not quite the same experience. I spent the entire time worrying about Cory flipping out of his tube (he couldn't swim at the time)and wondering why the heck Mikey's tube insisted on going so much faster than ours. It was fun, but definitely different than the slow relaxing floats I remembered from school.